November 7, 2008

As of this afternoon’s vote count, Shelly Short has a clear lead. I made the traditional call to congratulate Shelly on her win, and wished her well as she and her family prepare for the next Legislative session. The results are disappointing, but my greatest consolation is that I am in good company this year with John McCain, Sarah Palin, Dino Rossi, Doug Sutherland and Allen Martin. To paraphrase a line from Dino Rossi’s concession speech, I am comfortable in the business world and will refocus on the private sector. I look forward to the new opportunities the Lord has in store for our family.

Many of you have already written or called with your condolences on the loss and congratulations on a hard fought campaign, and I have tried to respond to each of you individually. Your support has made this a great experience, and I am grateful for the new friendships and connections. I can’t thank all of you enough for the envelope stuffing, phone calling, doorbelling, sign planting, cookie baking, postcard mailing and your hospitality along the campaign trail.

I plan to keep on blogging through my blogspot link at http://slmadsen08.blogspot.com/, you can sign up for RSS feeds if you’d like to stay in touch. Let’s all keep working together to make Washington the best state in the country to start a business and keep northeast Washington a safe and healthy place for our families!