November 15, 2008

Months ago, my husband Craig and I registered for a Family Life Today "Weekend to Remember" marriage conference in Coeur d'Alene, knowing that however the election turned out we needed to put first things first. What I expected was a nice little get away, and maybe we’d learn a few marriage communication tips. What we got out of it was way better. The afterglow is still there a week after the conference!

First of all, in the current culture, it is rare to find oneself in a room with over 1000 people who are all committed to the sanctity of marriage as a valuable and attainable goal. Our culture tells us that marriage is not about "for better or for worse," but rather "for now or until something better comes along or you really start to get on my nerves." Just check out the magazines in the grocery checkout line and look at all the articles about which celebrity just changed partners with some other celebrity.

Second, it was FUN! I laughed so hard tears came to my eyes as the speakers used humor to point out the truth of coping with real, every day relationships. We had time for reflection as couples, for discussion in small groups, and for individual study and prayer. We did get those practical communication tips that I expected, and had a good time doing it.

Third, it was enriching to a degree I hadn’t imagined. Craig and I have good relationship, and last weekend took it deeper. I recommend the Weekend to Remember program to everyone from engaged couples to the long-time married, whether you are a committed Christian or still seeking. There’s always room to grow. Check it out here.

As we grow closer to God, we grow closer to each other.