October 15, 2008

My opponent is crowing all over the place about how she got an “A” rating from the NRA and I got a “B”. We are both NRA members. Want to know what the difference is? I did, so I called the NRA regional rep and asked. The problem - I refused to pledge to support abolishing ALL registration and licensing laws without first taking the time to consult with law enforcement and prosecuting attorneys in the 7th District on the repercussions of such a bold step. I got a “B” because I insist on thinking problems through instead of going for the easy sound bite. When I told this story to folks I had met at the Friends of NRA banquet in Stevens County, the group consensus was they were glad I got the “B”. Guess not all NRA members think the same way. It would be so much easier just to let lobbyists do the thinking for me, but I think for myself.