August 19, 2007

Seems to have been lots of travel for both work and the campaign this past week – Omak, Chewelah, Colville, Spokane, Cusick, Elk. This week it will be Loon Lake, Odessa, Republic, Davenport and Colville. All of that travel, as well as a suggestion from Pat Weeks at the Pend Oreille County Fair, was the inspiration for today’s Time for Children message. I used Romans 10:14-15 as the text (roughly paraphrasing - how can they believe if they haven’t heard, how can they hear if no one preaches, how can they preach if they aren’t sent; beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news). My object lesson was a pair of fuzzy slippers, pointing out that we are comfortable in church just like we are comfortable at home, but we can’t expect to preach the good news to others by standing inside the church in our fuzzy slippers – we have to put on our shoes and get out in the world. Political service is similar in that you have to get out there and listen in order to effectively represent the values of your constituents. I’d paraphrase like this – how can I represent if I haven’t heard, how can I hear if no one speaks up, how can some one speak up if I am not there; beautiful are the feet of those who get out in the district! Maybe that’s why the first question political experts ask is “how many households have you door belled.” It’s not too early to get out and listen to how state government is or is not working for all of us. I’m on the road again!

P.S. Happy Birthday, Gabe! My grandson turned 2 years old on Friday, sure would have been nice to be there but we’ll look forward to seeing the whole family in October.