November 4, 2008

I have had messages of encouragement from so many friends today, and each one helps me to let go a little more and leave the outcome in God’s hands (where it was all along, anyway!). I want to share with you a portion of a meditation sent to me by a friend, which he received from Pastor David Jeffers:

Do you know why we forget that God will be exalted throughout the universe no matter what? Because we are too busy running our mouths and pontificating on every subject to just stop, shut up, and listen to God. We cannot even sit silently in the morning reading God’s word without our minds wandering off thinking about the upcoming day. Sometimes my mind races so much that I have to read out loud to shut off the racket in my brain.

The Hebrew word for “be still” is rapa and it is very picturesque; it gives the vision of something “hanging limp,” “sinking down,” “of being feeble.” It can even mean “being lazy.” In other words God expects us to be motionless, almost to the point of paralysis in the knowledge that He is God and I am not, that He is in control and I am not, that He will be exalted and I will not. Can I do that? Can I actually go limp and let God be God? Sometimes I seriously doubt it.

But I will begin trying today. I will not fret, fear, or fuss about this election. I will trust God with the outcome. That is the least I can do to actively live out my faith in Jesus Christ. Look at what Psalm 46 says:

“There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.” (Psalm 46:4-6)

When is the last time the last time you truly realized God’s ability to make the earth melt with His voice? Or when is the last time you lived the truth of Psalm 46:7?

“The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah”

Beloved, I am going to fast today, not of food but of fear, fretting, and fussing. I am not going to do it for the outcome of the election or our nation, but for me and God. It is my devotional to the Lord today to for at least 12 hours show that I can leave the outcome in His hands. Who knows, it might actually become a habit for me!

If I truly trust the Lord, I will truly trust Him today. Will you? Can you? I pray it is so for you.

Pastor David’s words are particularly appropriate as we face this historic election. The e-mail came with a link to sign up for Pastor David’s devotionals on a regular basis. Please click here and use "Please add to Devotional List" as the subject. God’s will be done.