October 27, 2008 (e-mail response to NRA question)

The following is from an e-mail reply I sent to a neighbor who asked about the NRA national office postcard, sent in an attempt to influence the 7th District race. Hope it helps straighten out the situation for others also:

Thank you for coming to me for a straight answer, I know it’s a touchy subject. Having traveled in the Baltic states recently, where the fear of a Russian invasion is real and pride in past resistance to the Germans is still fresh, I understand what keeping and bearing arms means.

The NRA postcard is flat out lying. I have NOT expressed support for firearm registration and licensing requirements during this campaign, and they know it. He (the regional rep) based his original rating on a conversation 4 years ago at a barbecue in Chehalis, before I had really studied the matter much. Guns were my husband’s thing, not mine. After the 2004 election, I took up pistol shooting and made a study of the issues around the 2nd amendment. What I DID say to the regional NRA representative just a few weeks ago is that I can’t understand the basis for firearms registration and licensing requirements, given the simple and clear meaning of the 2nd amendment. That became even more clear to me when I was applying for my own concealed carry permit. Why should I have to get a permit to carry a tool that I am entitled to own?

The problem is that I was honest with him, and wouldn’t just tell him what he wanted to hear. I went on to say that I could not pledge to work to abolish all registration and licensing requirements until I had consulted with the sheriff’s and prosecuting attorney’s of the 7th District to understand how we got to where we are today. I am not ready to start a revolution without understanding the lay of the land. I am also not going to apologize for refusing to bow to a lobbyist, no matter what he is lobbying for.

Friends, when you elect me you will get an independent voice for the 7th District.