April 9, 2008

In honor of the upcoming 7th District Lincoln Day Marathon Weekend (four Lincoln Day dinners in three days), I’m going to take this opportunity to highlight a few of my favorite quotes from President Abraham Lincoln:

On Conservatism: “In all that the people can individually do as well for themselves, the government ought not to interfere.”

On Ethics: “Some things that are legally right are not necessarily morally right.”

On Honesty: “I have always wanted to deal with everyone I meet candidly and honestly. If I have made any assertion not warranted by facts, and it is pointed out to me, I will withdraw it cheerfully.”

On Injustice: “The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”

On the Republican Party: “Republicans are for both man and the dollar but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.”

That last quote is an excellent opportunity to remember that the Republican Party was founded as a break away abolitionist party, asserting that all men are created equal in God’s sight and deserve an equal opportunity to succeed or fail on individual merit and initiative. Now if we could just get the government to stop interfering in that which we can and should do individually for ourselves . . . .